Address93 Hibuscus Street. Pretoria. Gauteng. 0081
What you should know about The Yard Preparatory Academy
We follow the CAPS curriculum for Grade R (also known as Grade 0), the same as used by any GDE school for Grade R. Grade R is the start of the foundation phase and forms the foundation of your child’s further education. All our Grade R educators are fully qualified and our aim is to ensure that learners are ready for their “big school” day.
For Grade RR and Grade RRR (also known as Grade 00 & Grade 000) we follow an informal curriculum, focused on the all-round development of the learner. Our educators provide fun educational activities that will prepare learners to progress to Grade R with ease. In addition to the curriculum and daily schedules, we aim to ensure that children feel safe, are happy, and develop as unique little people as they learn through play.
Grade R (Pre-primary) Curriculum
The curriculum is carefully based on the GDE national curriculum statements
- The physical, intellectual, emotional, social needs and maturity of the learner are addressed
- Age appropriate progression monitoring
- Interaction between educators and parents are encouraged
- Emphases on perceptual skills (gross and motor skills)
- Learn through play and 3-dimensional activities
Grade RR and Grade RRR Curriculum
- Gross and fine motor skills
- Mathematics, introduction to shapes, counting and patterns, numbers
- Science, interaction with the natural environment and observations
- Social Studies, diversity, interaction with other learners, working as a team, responsibility
- Language and literacy, name and word association, increase vocabulary, symbols
Our facilities include:
- Classrooms equipped for 20-30 children
- Kitchen classroom for baking activities
- Adequate toilets & ablutions
- First Aid Room
- Parking Area
- Spacious Playing Areas
- Jungle Gym & Sand Pit
- Swimming Pool (Fenced and Netted)
- Educational Shows are arranged per term
Grade R, Grade RR Services
The Yard contracts in the services of 3rd party service providers to provide extra-mural activities, such as..
Swimming - Grade R
A certified swimming instructor provides professional swimming lessons to all Grade R pupils during the summer months of term 1 and term 4.
Sport - Grade RR
Sport coaches provide supervised sport activities to enhance muscle tone, improve balance and improve crossing the mid-line, through fun and with positive re-enforcement.
Children are introduced to music through active participation in instrument play and movement. In addition to music appreciation, there are social, emotional and cognitive benefits from music.
Occupational Therapy Activities
A qualified Occupational Therapist visits the Yard every week to assist educators in the identification of learners with possible cognitive, physical, sensory, and motor skill difficulties. Based on the assessment, educators and parents are advised with the aim to enhance the learner’s self-esteem and sense of accomplishment.
Language Enrichment Activities
Language enrichment activities are offered to all Grade R pupils to improve their English language skills.
Various shows and outings are chosen during the year to inform and educate the children relating to curriculum themes and topics.
Other users also viewed:
Photos and videos
Payment methods we use:
- Bank transfer